Pages

Monday 4 January 2010

Turning Japanese // The Vapors

My cake playlist seems to be getting less and less about cake and more about tenuous links.

Anyway, apologies for being away so long, was concentrating on enjoying christmas and new year. All very successful and lovely in the end.

Yesterday was a much deserved trip for afternoon tea with two girlfriends.
We were heading to Yumchaa, but they had closed early, so my thoughts on them will wait for another time.
We dithered and decided to walk until we saw somewhere (harder than you may think in Soho).
And there it was, like a big, blue, cakey beacon.

Yauatcha.

I've been wanting to go for a while, having heard of it whilst cheffing, but never had a chance. I think the girls saw this and we ventured in to have a look.

We asked to see a tea menu, sort of thinking that this might involve everything they offer, as they are a tea room as well as a dim sum restaurant.
We got to look at a tea list, and were told the desert menu was verbal, and roughly seven-ish pounds a portion.

We were shown to our seats, low affairs at smart minimalist tables. We were then each given a wine list. I know that the lady who seated us wasn't waiting on us, but some communication on their part wouldn't have gone amiss, as it led to bit of an awkward explanation of what we wanted.
The verbal menu of pattisserie was slightly fustrating, as there were about eight items, that we needed listing several times in order to choose.
Eventually we got there, and managed to order.

I believe that I have the best friends in the whole world. They know that when it comes to pudding I'm not really capable of sharing, but am happy to try others. It seems we're all quite suited to each other, I'll detail what we ordered;

Me: Pear and Almond Tart // Assam Tea First Flush
M : Chocolate and Passionfruit Cake // Jasmine Green Tea
B : Lemon Cheesecake // Four Seasons Blue Oolong Tea

B was the only one brave enough to pick a random (but reasonably priced!) tea to try. I was a wimp and stuck to what I knew I would like.
After ordering, M said she'd probably prefer the tart, and I agreed that I'd probably prefer the chocolate passionfruit cake...

So the tea came, in beautiful pots and the waitresses served a cup at the table.


Our cakes came soon after, beautifully presented. I seem to be failing as a food photographer, nerves got the better of me and the pictures I took were a bit crap.
Once food was suitably documented, we began the tasting and swapping.

The pear and almond tart came with chocolate icecream, and was very nice, if a little boring. M liked this the best so had that.


The lemon cheesecake came with watermelon sorbet, and a cool vanilla mousse with brandy snaps. Again, I found this a bit boring, but it suited B perfectly.


The passionfruit and chocolate cake came with wasabi icecream, and it was completely amazing. It was a layer of chocolate sponge, then a passionfruit jelly topped with milk chocolate mousse and a scattering of hazelnuts. This was destined for me.


All of the deserts were lovely, but I was hoping for a little more Japanese inspiration. And looking at their website I realised that if we'd been seated upstairs we would have been able to see the pastry chefs at work. But I suppose that I wouldn't have been much company.

The price reflected the fact that it's a michelin starred restaurant, though at around £13 a head it seemed very reasonable. The tea was on average £4, but the pots were enormous.

We'd all like to go back I think, we were watching people eat dim sum, and it looked incredible, but that may be beyond all of our means for a while, and I know I'd rather spend my money on cake.

4 comments:

  1. I would like to add four points:
    1. Although the teas did average at about £4, many were much higher, heading uptp about £25: as a complete tea-novice, I was surprised at how expensive tea could be!
    2. In my opinion, the lemon cheesecake desert was not boring, but simply beautiful :)
    3. I would recommend blue tea to anyone
    4. I am most grateful to Libby for being wonderful, and for encouraging us to go

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding point 2, it was good cheesecake.. but.. it's just cheesecake... not my bag I suppose.
    I know that you, however, would be happy to kill kittens for a good cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to your kind thoughts on yumchaa.

    Becci - I presume the blue oolong was fermented yus?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will I thought oolong meant the tea is oxidised...

    ReplyDelete