Pages

Tuesday 20 April 2010

Township Rebellion // Rage Against the Machine

I wasn't very inspired for the title of this one. The MP3 wotsit chose for me.

A while ago I posted that my lovely friend had asked for a bit of assistance with a very large cake she'd been asked to make for Transition Town Kingston's Big Launch Party.


We had a little planning meeting (chips in the pub) and came up with a lot of ideas, the best being an allotment themed cake. It fits with the ethos you see. I can't quite remember what size we considered, but after reporting back we discovered that it was to be much, much bigger. To feed 200-250 people.

So we re-planned.

We ended up making 3 big sheets of cake, just a bit bigger than an A4 piece of paper. Which was less than requested, but any bigger would have been a lot harder and a lot messier.


We made one chocolate, one vanilla and one lemon. We started after work on Friday and ended up in bed at three o'clock. But in that time we did the three cakes and most of the modelling of sheds and vegetables and tripods for the decorating, and I had covered one cake in sugarpaste.


So after oversleeping a little we got back to it at around twelve. Covering the cakes in sugar paste was hard as they were so huge. So they all got a bit of patching in the end.
Putting the bits on was fun, there was debate about whether the chickens were to scale.. I said no, but I was wrong, they looked great in the end.


Then the nervous car journey and unloading. Then the praise and admiration. I hate that bit. I would have quite happily run away, but did the brave thing and got myself a tad drunk over the course of the evening.


They struggled to get rid of it all, one was donated to an allotment AGM, another to Kingston Horticultural Society and I took half of the rest for the lads at work - I think they'll eat anything put in front of them so they shouldn't mind that it was three days old.


I am glad that it's over, it was such a huge project and I enjoyed it a lot, but I struggled a bit with not having the original vision in my head to work to so was a little behind with helping and at points wasn't as helpful as I could have been.

7 comments:

  1. Well it seems that I can comment, why dont you try?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can comment. Commenty commenty comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bah. I just realised I forgot to take some goodies from those over-filled bags of your's. =[ BOOO HISSS

    They do look awesome, though. (Or did).

    ReplyDelete
  4. We witnessed these three fantastically decorated cakes at the TT Kiongston launch party on Saturday. Well done, very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Lads at work21 April 2010 at 19:02

    It's true, we will eat anything. Especially if its one of Libby's cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are superb. I love the decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool are they- so impressed. If you aren't up all night you aren't doing it right! Really enjoying looking through your posts!

    ReplyDelete